©MaryMcgintyPhotography

©MaryMcGintyPhotography

630-863-1061
All photos on this blog are the property of Mary McGinty Photography (unless noted otherwise) photos may not be used or copied without my permission




Oct 5, 2009

Geneva, Illinois

Herrington Inn and Spa
Geneva Il



This weekend I packed my bags and headed west, about 16 miles.
The destination, Geneva IL. I stayed at the
boy oh boy was it fabulous. It was built in the mid 1800's
as the Rock Springs Creamery owned by James Herrington.
Now over 150 years later this limestone building has been restored
and is known as The Herrington.
When I decided to go on my walk about, I googled
quaint Illinois towns and this caught my eye
(I had considered going to Amish land)


I've decided that I adore old hotels, we stayed at the
Burhnam Hotel over the summer .
Both of these hotels are filled with history

The exterior is Limestone covered with vines


The hotel sits on the Fox River, I took this from the bridge





Lobby

I took so many pictures just of the hotel, it is very unique
low ceilings, stone floors and plaster textured walls



front door looking into the lobby
I felt as though I was in a small castle


There was a damn on the other side of the bridge so
the water was fast moving with the sounds of waterfalls


top and bottom taken from my balcony
a large semi circle window on my floor that
looks over the front foyer


staircase to lobby




This is my room, it was the last one available, hence the
double beds. Starts at $229 a night and goes up to $505
a night. I would die to see that room

dessert brought to my room.

Also, every night at 7pm the chambermaid
knocks on your door and give you warm fresh homemade
chocolate chip cookies and milk
(in old fashioned milk bottles)


The town is just precious. There are some 200 shops
in downtown Geneva all housed in old Victorian homes.
I wish I would have taken pictures inside. The rooms
are all still intact, every nook and cranny is utilized.
Old panrties, radiators, tubs, kitchen cabinets etc
display the items. Not like a garage sale, just quaint
little shops and galleries

I treated myself to this original smokey topaz ring
with little diamonds on the sides





Being all alone I was able to come and go as I please.
I shopped (5 hours straight walking) I ate at cute restaurants.
Everyone is super friendly. At night I took hot jetted bathes and
relaxed by the fire.
I bought myself clothes in little boutiques, bought myself roses
at the French market and all kinds of little trinkets.
If I had to sum it up in 1 word it would be
"Precious"


I anticipated riding "Bessie" my 1950 pink
Schwinn and photographing
the fall scenery, but it was damp and chilly and green


I came home to my boys relaxed and recharged


1 comment:

Mel said...

Love it! Love it! Love it!