©MaryMcgintyPhotography

©MaryMcGintyPhotography

630-863-1061
All photos on this blog are the property of Mary McGinty Photography (unless noted otherwise) photos may not be used or copied without my permission




Oct 28, 2009

Giving Back and filling your bucket


Maple Street Chapel

 TJ is making his Confirmation this year at Sacred
Heart Church.
(not pictured)


One of the many requirements is to reflect on the
meaning of life and look at our response to the
values we discover. One of the ways
we respond is by using the gifts we have
and getting involved in some aspect of community work.
They are required to log 20 hours. Last night TJ 
and a fellow classmate and baseball team mate
volunteered at our local shelter.  
TJ and Brad set up cots and served a meal of 
Turkey,mashed potatoes, beans and 
brownies to the families in need. 
 When TJ came home he was glowing, 

he really enjoyed himself. He wants to go 
back next week, as does Cal.I was shocked 
at the amount of people TJ said were there.
What a valuable experience for these boys. 
I have always referred to Lombard as 
"living in a bubble" My children are pretty
much sheltered from the harsh
realities of urban living. My kids are not exposed to 
low income families or violence.

It's very easy for me to get caught up in "my life" and
not look past my community. TJ really taught me a
valuable lesson.  It really makes kids feel good to
contribute and help others. I am going to join them next week.


Karrick's Kindergarten class has a bucket system

" Mom, I did something nice for
Luke today, that made his bucket full and it
also filled my bucket!"
(says Karrick with his little arms up in the air as proud as a peacock) 
He is learning that it also makes you feel good to help someone
out. What a great and simple exercise to teach 5 year olds


"Providing Housing Solutions for People in Crisis"
First Church of Lombard has been a partner with
DuPage PADS for over twenty years.
First Church provides overnight shelter every
Tuesday night for men, women and
children that would otherwise be living on the
streets.On Tuesday nights, numerous
volunteers give of themselves from
6 PM to 7:30 AM.  First Church of Lombard
( Maple Street Chapel) is the "Host Site".
Maple Street Chapel
is in the heart of the Historical District,
a few block from our home.


Never in a million years would I have thought
that it would be packed on a Tuesday night with
hungry people. It Really makes you think..
Last night I had to buy yards of fleece

for TJ to bring to CCD class tonight.
They are making blankets to donate

No comments: