©MaryMcgintyPhotography

©MaryMcGintyPhotography

630-863-1061
All photos on this blog are the property of Mary McGinty Photography (unless noted otherwise) photos may not be used or copied without my permission




Sep 12, 2008

Gotta Let Them Grow






One of the hardest parts of parenting I believe is not being able to take the hurt away from your child. There is a time to step in and a time to step back. After TJ's pitching session we were on our way to Callahan's practice. TJ was eager to help out. Once we got to the park, TJ saw his friends from elementary school skateboarding next to the field. My 12 year old looked at me with those big brown eyes and all I saw was him at age 5.
"Mom, what if they ask me to skate, i can't do those tricks" he asked. Behind those sad eyes I saw "what if they don't ask me to skate" I could see he was feeling left out and missing his friends. When you play baseball 6 days a week for 7 months straight, with up to 3 games a day on weekends, something needs to give. I explained to him that everything has its trade off. Maybe it's time for a baseball break or do a little less ball and a little more hanging with friends. "Can you just bring me home" he asks. With tears welling I brought him home. I felt his pain cause I remember being 12. Your world revolves around what your peers think.
I am looking forward to a weekend of thunder storms, I think we all need a weekend off.

As I dropped Karrick at pre-school this morning, there were no tears or quivering lip. My little man for the first time ran up to his teacher yelling "look what I have for you" . He had colored 2 posters, 1 for each teacher and had them rolled up. No "good byes" No "don't take long at work" Nothing. I was left standing there with nothing

Nobody said it would be easy





On a lighter note, Karrick wanted to "throw some pitches" with TJ's trainer. As he left the bullpen proud as a peacock he says " I am so cool" Everyone had a good chuckle

2 comments:

Mel said...

This is a lovely enrty and so true. With Emma intensely involved with ballet I worry about the same things...I will have her do a rain dance to ensure your TJ will have the break he needs.

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.