©MaryMcgintyPhotography

©MaryMcGintyPhotography

630-863-1061
All photos on this blog are the property of Mary McGinty Photography (unless noted otherwise) photos may not be used or copied without my permission




Nov 13, 2008

Pain in the neck

Today, I had Cervical Facet Injections. It's sad when you look forward to having needles plunged into your spine. This is my 4th time having the Facet injections. It is an outpatient surgical procedure. I usually get anywhere from a 4-6 month relief from excruciating pain. My nerves are permanently damaged from whiplash, so this is the best that can be done for me. It has become the norm to live with some level of pain and numbness. Today, I was having left side injections to C3, C4 ,C5, C6, C7 and T1. FUN, fun, fun. For the next 2-3 days I will be sore and swollen. On the 3rd day I will wake up and something magical happens. I will be able to turn my head and replace my Vicodin with Advil.






What is it: Cervical facet injection is a procedure that targets neck pain. A steroid medication is injected into the joint. To ensure proper placement of the medication the procedure is done under fluoroscopy or x-ray.

Who Benefits: Cervical facet injection is useful for patients with neck, head, shoulder and/or arm pain. This is especially useful for patients who suffer whiplash injury.

Purpose: The facet joint is a thumbnail size joint that is located in pairs on the back of your spine. These become painful and inflamed. The steroid medication can reduce the inflammation and thus alleviating your pain

How is it Done: First an IV is started and you may be given medicine for relaxation if you so desire. Next, while lying on an x-ray table your skin will be cleansed and prepared. Then a needle will be inserted into the joint. An anesthetic and steroid medication is slowly injected into the area.

What to Expect: During the injection pain will be increased temporarily. Following the procedure you may experience some initial discomfort for about 2 to 3 days. Once the medication reaches the inflamed area your pain should hopefully be relieved.

No comments: