©MaryMcgintyPhotography

©MaryMcGintyPhotography

630-863-1061
All photos on this blog are the property of Mary McGinty Photography (unless noted otherwise) photos may not be used or copied without my permission




Nov 25, 2008

My night with TJ

Mission Statement

Through a collaborative environment, we will develop emotionally, socially, physically, and academically to prepare for our futures.

Today I had TJ's parent teacher conference at GWMS. I couldn't be happier with this school. Glen Westlake is a new state of the art middle school with high expectations and high achievers. As we sat in the hall waiting, TJ was so nervous he looked sick. Now, with every single grade from homework to tests posted online along with teacher comments there are no surprises. TJ after a rough start, now at midterm has a solid B average. Finally, after I thought the kid was going to pass out from anxiety, I finally asked what he was afraid of? His reply " I'm afraid that you are going to embarrass me and act weird" Hmmm, the only thing that popped into my head was" OMG I have a teenager" Boy, do I remember...
We walked in and all TJ's teachers were lined up and 1 by 1, each one gave glowing reports on TJ. His math and social studies teachers were ecstatic with his recent A's on Friday's tests. Great kid, great kid, great kid. Some times a little to social was the only improvement suggested. Walking out TJ sighed with relief, apparently my behavior past his test and he didn't feel the need to crawl under a table.
With a bounce in his step he suggested the 2 of us sit in Bouna Beef together and have some dinner. As I looked across the table I couldn't be more proud of the person TJ is and the man he is turning into.
Tj and I had a nice dinner together just the
2 of us.

1 comment:

Mel said...

This is just lovely. All parents should remember the challenges of growing up and see the emerging greatness in these adults who are not yet fully formed. You are a great example for all.