©MaryMcgintyPhotography

©MaryMcGintyPhotography

630-863-1061
All photos on this blog are the property of Mary McGinty Photography (unless noted otherwise) photos may not be used or copied without my permission




Feb 21, 2009

Karrick, karrick , karrick a work in progress





With the start of Lent next week, St. Pius X  is introducing 
the Principles of Catholic Social Teaching to the preschoolers
summed up are

  Human dignity
     • The common good     • Subsidiarity and
     • Solidarity

Karrick's class is participating in Operation Life Bowl in
which each child came home with a little cardboard
 bank to collect funds
Our morning went like this:

Mommy: 
  "Karrick this bank is to collect money for the poor kids"

Karrick: 
  "I'm not giving those kids my money"

                   
     he has no idea what poor kids are, they are those phantom kids
 we send our old toys and clothes to. So I whip out the
 brochure and show him the poor African children trying to appeal to his 
sympathetic side
   He listens to me with the look of
 Horror on his face

Mommy:
 "  Look,\  Karrick these kids have no food and no beds to sleep on.
their house has dirt floors and walls made of mud
  They have to get water from outside which is dirty
If  everyone gives just a little money it will help
buy them a bowl of rice" 

   Karrick:
" I SAID, I'm not giving any of my 
money to those kids!
 I need my money to buy toys!"

I try the less subtle approach

Mommy: 
     "Get your little butt up those stairs and get some coins
to put in the bank for the poor kids
 " It is what Jesus' would want you to do and
     it will make your heart feel good!"

     I admit it, I played the Jesus' card.
Karrick stomps up the stairs and stomps back down the stairs
and plops a nickle in the little cardboard bank
and with the look of Satan he says:

"This is all I'm giving to those kids, 1 coin!"

to which I reply:

"See, doesn't your heart feel good to give to someone that doesn't have 
all the things that you have?"


Karrick looks up at me with those big brown eyes and says:

"NOT SO MUCH!"


1 comment:

Mel said...

Jesus has a special place for you in Heaven! By far one of your funniest posts!!! Thanks.