©MaryMcgintyPhotography

©MaryMcGintyPhotography

630-863-1061
All photos on this blog are the property of Mary McGinty Photography (unless noted otherwise) photos may not be used or copied without my permission




Nov 11, 2009

Homeless



TJ started volunteering at our local PADS shelter last week
to fulfill community service hours in order to make his
 Confirmation.  He really enjoyed it, so this week Callahan
and myself decided to join him. We set up cots and put on the
bed linens, set up table and chairs and served food.
Within the first half I had to fight back tears, tears of pride.
To see TJ, Cal and a couple other kids just jump into action was
amazing. When the people showed up, I wasn't fully
prepared. I often talk about my "bubble" that I live in.
"All that other stuff", well thats not part of my bubble.
There were families just down on their luck, there were what
I assumed to be the "addiction crowd" and what
appeared to be  people with some mental issues. One
thing I do know is there were a lot of people. Here
was a place in the middle of my bubble that fed, clothed,
provided hot showers, medical care and a bed to people without.
It was a powerful experience for all of us. It was a great
learning experience for the kids. They realize that it can
happen to anyone, our ride home was filled with all
kinds of questions. Living in Lombard, there is not
a whole lot of diversity, economically or socially. It's
very easy to get wrapped up in my world. This was
a great experience and my "bucket" was overflowing.

No comments: