©MaryMcgintyPhotography

©MaryMcGintyPhotography

630-863-1061
All photos on this blog are the property of Mary McGinty Photography (unless noted otherwise) photos may not be used or copied without my permission




Aug 8, 2012

The horror we call our deck



The last time I stained our deck was 2 years ago. I have been meaning to do it since April, but time just got away. I found a Quart of stain in the basement and decided to start . Now to finish I will need the 5 gallon drum. Needless to say the stain was sucked right into the dry wood. I was able to get the  below sections and left of the arrow almost done. Touch-ups will be necessary.
So I completed maybe 40 balusters , 6 rails and maybe 4 or 5 posts  .
Only about 300 balusters, 30 posts, 20 rails and 600 sq feet on flooring to go. Lets not forget the lattice that probably never has been completely stained

Why don't I have it professionally cleaned and stained you ask?
Because the 13 year old needs braces and you need a degree to be an orthodontist.
You don't need a degree to stain a deck, just a lot of time and common sense.
 I like to believe I have an abundance of common sense and I can scrape together a few days to complete the job.....I hope Mother Nature will work with me.....no more 100 degree + days please


You can see the balusters I didn't just stain...desert dry wood
The difference in the wood color is amazing....this hot summer really took it's tool on the wood.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aww. You can always re-stain everything. Just be sure to do it when the weather is good. Repainting the deck will also help!

Angelina