©MaryMcgintyPhotography

©MaryMcGintyPhotography

630-863-1061
All photos on this blog are the property of Mary McGinty Photography (unless noted otherwise) photos may not be used or copied without my permission




Dec 23, 2009

Nan




This picture is from my wedding and with her grandsons, my cousin Brendan 3rd from left lives in nans house today




My paternal grandmother was just an incredible lady, we called her "Nan" short for "Nanny". She was loved by all, everyone's favorite. A very strong woman in character, she raised 3 boys and buried 2 husbands both of whom were Chicago Fireman. I never met my grandfather, but "Pop" was always grandpa to all of us. Every time we visited he gave us a quarter. My father is the middle child, the only one still with us.  My father and his younger brother were both Chicago fireman and that tradition is carried on by my older brother Patrick who proudly wears the CFD uniform today. Nan loved to gamble with frequent trips to Vegas. In her 80's she still drove to the "boats" to try her luck. She has been gone 10 years now, I was 8 or 9 months pregnant with Callahan when she passed. As long as I can remember Christmas was always celebrated at Nan's house with all the cousins and extended family present. One cannot think of Nan without that warm feeling of comfort. I am lucky enough to have some of her cherished items passed on to me, my favorite is a crystal punch bowl set still packed up as the day my mother gave it to me (3 boys and heirloom punch bowl do not mix) TJ still uses Pops bedroom set


This little lady will be 30 years old this year, given to me by Nan on my 16th birthday


My Santa bank given to me long ago, I had to be 8? I remember my older sister got a porcelain stocking bank at the same time.

Thinking of you this Christmas Nan, as there are more of you up there than down here
Thanks for the warm memories

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christine Moran DeLeon nice. She really was special. Oh and I love all the figurines you still have from her!

Anonymous said...

Mara Mackey
Very nice Mary. Nan was the best. She always served her baked goods - chocolate chip cookies and those magic bars with the coconut. One of my fondest memories was in Joe & Sue's car in Vegas - Mike and I in the back, with Nan between us. Joe & Sue arguing about something in the Costanz style and Nan pressing on my leg to make me laugh. The ... See Morethree of us in the back completely losing it while the arguing continued on. That & the story of the black man who flashed her in the Christ Hospital parking lot. I miss them all around this time of the year, that's for sure.

Anonymous said...

Jim Moran commented on your link:

"Can't remember the last time I saw that Santa bank. Very nice blog."

Tricia Alexander said...

What a great blog Mary! I never got to meet Nan, but Tim talked about her and Pops all the time. Always talked about playing cards with her and riding to old Comiskey on the bus with Pops. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas. Please give my love to all the family. I miss you all.

Anonymous said...

you are the most beautiful daughter in law