©MaryMcgintyPhotography

©MaryMcGintyPhotography

630-863-1061
All photos on this blog are the property of Mary McGinty Photography (unless noted otherwise) photos may not be used or copied without my permission




Dec 6, 2009

Nobody said being a Catholic was easy



I was born in 1964 on the South side of Chicago into an Irish fireman family. We went to all catholic schools, attended church religiously every Sunday. We said prayers at bedtime and I often remember my mom having  us say special prayers for some fireman that died or got injured. I remember on Good Friday my mom would make me and my older brother and sister sit on the couch from 1-3 pm:
Because Jesus was on the Cross between the hours of Noon and 3:00 PM, these three hours today are considered the most sacred of all. A devotion called "Tre Ore" or "Three Hours' Agony
All I remember was that it was absolute Hell! I honestly would rather stick a needle in my own eye than have my 3 boys sit quietly on the couch. All we did was beat the crap out of each other...I guess that was our suffering. I don't remember my younger brother and sister having to suffer this way. I also remember my mom pinching and separating me and my younger brother Jim in Mass. Jim is possibly one of the funniest people on God's green earth and lets just say he didn't rest on the Sabbath. I remember laughing so hard I would cry in church and seeing the Devil daggers coming out of my mom's eye sockets. The pinch and the whisper were next "wait till we get home" it was an empty threat because after mass we always went to "Dutchie's" for lunch.
When I went to Catholic grammar school the nuns still wore the full habits and I'm not lying when I say some were mean. Sister Juanita in the 5 th grade was brutal, she would limp over (Polio as a child) to some unsuspecting victim and smack them right in the back of the head...one poor boy in particular always got it.
  Jim and I would ride up to St Bernadette on a Saturday for 4pm mass and grab a bulletin then go hang elsewhere, hoping mom wouldn't ask what the Homily was about
We had to go to mass every week until we were 18. It being the south side neighborhood of Beverly we were introduced to Western ave at an early age. I celebrated my 17th birthday at the Touch of Green tavern. The brutal Sunday bellow always came "get up , we're going to 11:15 mass" I remember praying that she would leave without me..as my head pounded from the night before, but it.never happened.
So now I have my 3 own boys, all of whom attend public school. On the south side you didn't go to public school...they sucked. In the western suburbs the public schools excel. I stopped going to mass years ago, more out of laziness than anything, but my boys do attend CCD. When my mom died I took a leave of absence from my faith...I was pissed! As they say "It was a blessing in disguise" of my mom's passing. She would of been very ill and w/o her dignity had she lived. My mother's dignity was everything, she was a woman of intelligence, grace and humor...everyone adored her. I look at Religion as our history, my boys are Roman Catholic and I want them to know the history, make all their Sacraments then make their own decisions when they grow up.Once you  grow up, you can't go back and make all those Sacraments...easily.
 TJ is 13 and making his Confirmation March 25 th at Sacred Heart Church. It is a 2 year program that started in the 7th grade. TJ had to attend a weekend retreat at the church, it was pretty intense. He didn't particularly enjoy it, but is glad he did it and feels like a better person because of it.





this was the itinerary...yikes, no joke (click to enlarge) don't know why everyone puts that because everyone already knows to click

In addition to that the students are required to perform 20 hours of community service. TJ and friends have been volunteering at our local pads shelter every Tuesday night which has been an invaluable experience for them all. They are also making blankets in class to donate. TJ is required to write a letter to the Bishop introducing himself and explain what he is doing and why he wants to be Confirmed (my mom is forcing me is not an option) I just read TJ's letter and it made me cry, I'm not sure why, but some old Catholic pride came to the surface. I asked if I could blog about it and he said, sure. TJ is and always has been very easy going.




I asked TJ if he really thought his family was crazy and he replied "yes". To which I replied:
"well, at least your family is not boring"
TJ is required to pick a patron Saints name, he chose Patrick. He is required to write a report on St Patrick and why he chose him and the similarities they share. He chose his Godfather Uncle Brian as his sponsor. Brian, is Tim's younger brother. TJ asked me if I had to do all this when I was in the 8th grade. I told him "No., I had to do all this stuff on a daily basis. When you go to a faith based school...it is faith based" " I lived this stuff daily"
All kidding aside, I am extremely proud of TJ. He is turning into a fine young man and really taking his responsibilities to the Church seriously.
Keep up the good work baby, what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger. Boy will you be strong!


No comments: